Mussels with Tomato Salsa Posted on 27 Mar 12:41 , 0 comments
Childhood memories of collecting mussels and cooking and eating them right on the beach make this meal a ‘summer in a bowl’ experience. The addition of a light tomato sauce and served with toasted ciabatta bread makes this a memorable meal to share. You don’t have to collect the mussels yourself but this one pot meal is so easy to prepare you can actually make it on the beach.
- 1 kg mussels, cleaned
- Splash of white wine (1/4 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small red chili, (optional) finely chopped
- 1 can peeled tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small bunch basil, chopped
- 1 small bunch parsley, chopped
- Salt, Pepper
1. Heat a little olive oil in a pot large enough to hold the mussels and add the onion, sauté for a minute until translucent then add the garlic and chili cooking for further minute.
2. Add the peeled tomatoes, a pinch of salt and a few grinds of black pepper and stir to combine. Continue to cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
3. Add the cleaned mussels to the pot together with the white wine and stir through the sauce. Place a tight fitting lid on the pot so that the mussels can steam.
4. After a minute or so you will notice the mussels start to open continue to stir so that the heat is evenly distributed replacing the lid on the pot. Repeat this a few times until the mussels are all opened. You may find that some remain closed. If they are easy to open you can eat them otherwise discard them.
5. Pour into a large bowl and bring warm to the table