Fragune Dolce (sweet ricotta tarts) Posted on 02 Apr 11:29 , 0 comments
Makes 2 x 24cm tarts
This sweet ricotta tart is made by our mums during Easter. The use of ricotta makes it a light and moist Italian-style cheesecake. It is so very easy to make. Family and friends will love it.
I kilo ricotta
1/2 cup sugar
3 tsp vanilla essence
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
1 egg, beaten for glazing
175g unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp marsala or brandy (optional)
2 cups plain flour, plus extra for dusting
2 cups self-raising flour
1. Place the flours and butter in a bowl of a food processor and combine for 1 minute or until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add sugar and marsala and pulse until combined. Add eggs and milk and pulse until a soft dough forms
2. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface, divide in half and form into two discs. Wrap in plastic film and place in fridge for 30 minutes.
3. Pre heat oven to 180C fan-forced and grease two 24 cm round tart or cake tins with removable bases.
3. To prepare filling, place ricotta in a large bowl and then add all other ingredients. Mix well.
4. Roll out dough to cover tins. The dough should be rolled out quite thinly as it does rise. Leave a little dough to roll out lattice finish on tarts once filled (optional)
5. Bake pastry bases in oven for 10 min. Remove and add ricotta filling. Glaze with beaten egg and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Leave to cool completely on wire racks, then cut into 5cm squares to serve. The tarts will keep in an air tight container for up to one week.